ASAP Relocations - Left my things in my parking garage
The company I used was ABM Van Lines, but according to their MC and DOT numbers, they go by the name, "ASAP Relocations." Their rating with Better Business San Jose is an F, which I did not know about before my move.
My online quote was for $305.00 because I was getting a 5% discount; without the discount, it was going to be $320. I told the sales rep, "P," that I needed my dishes, small appliances (i.e., toaster, griddle, etc), and pots and pans packed because I did not have the necessary packing supplies. I listed my furniture for "P" and I asked "P" repeatedly if it was extra to pack my dishes, and she said it was not because the movers go by amount of time. She also told me that shrink wrap, bubble wrap, moving pads, and packing tape were included in the price.
She also told me that Double Drive Time would not apply because my move was only 3.69 miles in total.
I asked "P" for an "overestimate" - if the move would realistically cost more than $305; she said it shouldn't. Regardless, I was prepared to pay around $500.00 for any additional charges.
On the day of the move, the movers showed up on time. After going through the contract and finding out that the mover "required" the use of additional boxes (which ended up costing over $100.00), he wanted me to set my Not to Exceed Limit as $800.00. He also wanted to charge me Double Drive Time. I told him that the move really should not take 7 hours, as he estimated, and that his office told me Double Drive Time would not apply for my move. In a false attempt to negotiate with me, he said, "I won't charge you for tape." I replied, "You're already not charging me for tape because it's included in my contract."
We finally decided on a Not to Exceed of $600.00, and they started moving my things at 9am.
After approximately 5 hours of packing, the foreman told me that they were going to run out of time. He said if this happened, they would put all my things in storage. I felt trapped and hesitantly asked to set my Not to Exceed Limit at $800.00, which is what he originally wanted.
After 6 hours, my 1 bedroom apartment was finally packed up and ready to go to my new apartment.
After arriving at my new apartment, the mover asked for the $800.00 up front. I wanted to think about it, and he brushed me off, saying he didn't mean to be cruel but said they were on a time limit and didn't have time to discuss it. I asked if I could pay it on credit card because I didn't have enough cash. He said no. I paid $400 in cash and $400 on my credit card, and I asked him to indicate on the contract that none of the cash was to be his tip. He told me they don't indicate it on their contract.
After 2 hours of moving my boxes and several small furniture items into my new apartment, the mover told me they were going to run out of time again, and they needed me to sign a new contract for a Not to Exceed Limit of $1000.00. I spoke to the dispatcher, who told me that his men would not work for free, and that I had to sign the new contract. I said no. The movers then left my belongings in the parking garage of my new building. I have photos of this.
I asked the mover for the first contract I signed for $600.00, and he said no. I said that my signature is on it, and I am entitled to a copy. He still refused. I asked him for the names of the people I had spoken to on the phone, but he claimed that he couldn't remember their names.
I paid them $766.64 in total because i got a small "refund" from my $800.00.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Moving And Storage
- Review category
- Transportation and Storage
You May Also Like
- "On May 19, 2014 my belongings were moved by my local Two Men and a Truck. As a senior, I hired them because of their claims like "movers who..."
- "I cannot believe what an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE company this is!!!!! I guess if everything goes well you get a nice container and you use it and then they remove..."
- "I bought model home furniture to be used in a house I had under construction. I stored it at the Self-Store on 484 in Ocala, Florida, a storage facility..."
- "I recently tried priceline.com to rent a car -- without success. No big deal. Subsequently I changed my mind and decided not to travel that week at all. Now, every couple..."
- "I have been a great customer of Amazon.com for a very long time, it must have been at least 10+ years. I have purchased everything from little things to..."
- "Nine9 was once One Source Talent. Same company..... Same employees.... Same SCAM. :-( I went to one of their cattle calls a couple years ago. Showed up, watched some movie with..."
- "Had. Went. To. Da. Family. ..."
- "I have made the mistake of purchasing 2 leather sofa's in which the pillows tend to keep propping out and we keep sinking into the back of the sofa and..."
- "Dont fool with this company omg from 2009 to 2016 the warranty is a scam and there pillow top is a flat top in two months dont waste your time..."